Rongai is the only route starting on the northern slope of Kilimanjaro. Though this part of the Mountain is rarely visited by hikers, it is no less interesting than the popular southern and western slopes. We recommend Rongai to all those who like reclusive hiking experiences.
Getting to the trailhead – Nalemuru Gate – usually takes 3-4 hours from Hotel.
Rongai is also the only route that passes by Mawenzi, one of the three volcanic cones of Kilimanjaro and the third highest peak in Africa. The way back lies through Marangu, and thus you will be able to see both sides of the mountain.
Though six and seven-day programs are available, a longer option is recommended for better acclimatization transition.
- Pick-up and drop-off at Kilimanjaro International Airport;
- Transfer to the trailhead – entry gate to Kilimanjaro National Park;
- Pick up at the exit from Kilimanjaro National Park and transfer to the hotel;
- All park fees collected by the Kilimanjaro National Park ( conservation fees, camping fees, crew fees, vehicle fees, rescue, and fees all other fees collected by the Tanzania National Parks Authority).
- One night at 3* hotel before the expedition and one night after; The hotels have everything for your comfortable stay – caring staff, nice rooms, reliable Wi-Fi, restaurant, and swimming pool);
- Tented accommodation on Mount Kilimanjaro (modern, comfortable 4-Season tents North Face VE-25 or Kilimanjaro Tents).
All accommodation is on sharing basis (i.e. you will be sharing with your travel companion a twin/double room in the hotel and a tent during the hike. If you travel alone, we will match you with a same-sex adventurer).
- Breakfast in the hotel before and after the hike;
- All meals on the hike. Our Kilimanjaro diet includes energy-rich and highly nutritious meals prepared by our professional high-altitude cooks. A typical diet on Kilimanjaro includes different soups, garnishes, several types of fish and meat, fresh fruit, and vegetables; vegetarian/gluten-free/halal options are available at no extra cost;
- All drinks on the hike (coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and water).
Hiking and safety equipment:
- 4-inch (10-cm) thick and comfortable sleeping mats;
- All group equipment (spacious and comfortable dining tent, camping table and chairs, crockery and cutlery);
- Oxygen cylinders and oximeters;
- GPS-tracking service;
- Complete medical kits.
- Professional guides, licensed by Kilimanjaro National Park. All our guides are holders of Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid certifications. All our guides have 4+years of successful mountaineering experience;
- Dedicated support crew (assistant guides, camp master, porters, cooks, etc.).